Wednesday, 20 May 2015

Agrasen ki Baoli

               
  In the scorching heat of Delhi,a random plan to visit this place proved to be a blessing in disguise.
 Agrasen ki Baoli,situated on Hailey Road near Connaught Place is supposedly one of India's most haunted places and I had often read about it on the internet as well as in some books.Having my coaching in Connaught Place,it only further fed my craving to visit it and so I did along with my four other friends.
On travelling through the narrow lane that led to the baoli,I felt as if travelling back to some other time.We reached at around 1.30 pm and the sun was fairly up,burning off the surroundings but the place had an unusual kind of serenity and coolness.We climbed up the stairs of the entrance and entered,completely unaware of what awaited.My imagination had already started running wild with all types of haunted stories I had read online but the site that greeted us was nothing but a simple old monument,broken here and there and yet beautiful in it's own ancient way.This picture here is all that the baoli possesses.There is nothing beyond these two walls.
I looked around with a little feeling of uneasiness expecting something to happen but nothing seemed to move.It felt as if time had stopped for me.We all sat down on the stairs.And began to inspect every inch.
The Baoli was originally built by Maharaja Agrasen in the Mahabharat era and later rebuilt by the Aggarwal community in the 14th century.It consists of 103 steps made of red stone and is a water temple that was used in ancient times as a reservoir.Now,it is the humble abode of the pigeons and the interior of the Baoli,all dark and cold is inhabited by the Bats.
We could not go inside and discover further as some restoration was going on inside by the Archaelogical Survey of India and so had to make do with sitting on the stairs and reminisce.
The stories of the Baoli being haunted revolve around the theory of Black Waters that the Baoli was supposed to contain at some point,way back in time.The water of the Baoli was called black waters because people claimed that the water appeared magnificient and attractive to the people who were depressed,tired of life and said that the water called out to them to jump in and so many a suicide were reported due to jumping in the water.And eversince,the water was called blackwaters.
I read that when you go down the steps of the Baoli,deep inside,you lose contact with the outside world as the two walls of the baoli seem to enclose on you and stop any sound from reaching down and the stairs when looked up from the last step inside fade out the day and only the steps above and the two walls form the view.I was not lucky enough to go and experience it myself but would love to reutrn once the restoration gets completed and discover it.
Anyways,what I really wanted to tell was that the Baoli in no way seemed haunted to me but a place peaceful,relaxing enough.I loved the quietness surrounding me with only the sound of birds and air travelling through my ears.The place seemed to radiate a pious stillness and has secured itself a very unusually noteworthy place,deep down in my heart with it's captivating tranquility.
It is a must visit for all those seeking quietude and exuberance.
Go and sooth your mind.
Love.Live.Dream.
Shubhi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment